GREED



Greed - Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food - from Google Dictionary


Yes, the word is usually used when people express their hatred and unfairness, especially as economic downturn occur, it's been nearly impossible to avoid the word in news column.


I used to hate this word as well, greedy people are naughty and harmful, they do not give a dime to others.


Okay, I don't want to be a greedy person, so who do I WANT to be? What do I want? Am I completely happy with present situation?


Yes and No, I can stabilize myself by having the time of reflection through chanting and meditation, but it just keeps me stable and unmoving. This is the same as a monk in a cave, he just satisfies himself by isolating himself from any controversy of this world.


We do not have to be in a cave to obtain peacefulness. We all have the best friend who know the best of  us, called "self". For me, it doesn't take a minute to put focus back to my own mental state and calm it down.


But I ask myself, is that all?


I do believe I need to be happy to make others happy, but I feel that I WANT to express myself more in new, fresh and original way.


So what can I do? What do I need? Answers vary. I need a huge canvas and colours of acrylics to be a painter, I need a new Macbook, new software and new reference code books to be a programmer or a game creator.


I NEED some stuff because I WANT to be someone, then it's natural to desire more money.


I've recently been reading "Rich dad and poor dad" written by Robert Kiyosaki.
He explains how poor people know about money although they say they want to be rich.


I felt money have been too close to me to realize I need to know more about money and need more experience and challenges so I get knowledge as foundation.


Although people desire things and want or need money, they make wrinkles when people start talking about money. My mind has been absolutely in this kind. I've been thinking money as something that belongs someone just work hard and believe I just need to be specialized in something.


But specialization isn't enough to be rich because specialized people know their profession but the system of money. Examples are doctors who graduated with awesome academic record but later financially struggle because they do not know how to manage their income.


I think the typical image of greedy person is who owns expensive car, huge house, party life, and other fancy stuff around, but it's just illusion, they are not rich but fool. This is wrong use of greed.


Better use of greed is making investment from long-term point of view. The example above is spending money on liabilities which run out in short term, even expensive cars reduce their value largely when they are sold.

Popular Posts