Words and Technology

I do stay logged in Facebook for about 3 or 4 hours in a day including while I'm observing other websites and being away from computer. It is amazing to think how huge amount of information has been distributed and exchanged in the Internet and even only on Facebook.

It's good to stay connected to friends and make a fun chatting.

I used to exchange emails with my colleagues living in Japan, talk on Skype, share files on online storage service, so I sit in front of my laptop almost all day sometimes.

While I've been continuing this habit, I sometimes felt a strange feeling, it is like I have so many things that I want to/can achieve online, I communicate with so many people everyday, but I was still feeling something is empty and essentially lacking.

Today, I happened to find the precise description of my weird feeling.
While I was reading "TOWARD A WORLD OF DIGNITY FOR ALL: THE TRIUMPH OF THE CREATIVE LIFE" by Disaku Ikeda, the small book was written as an annual peace proposal toward UN. In the book, Daisaku Ikeda quoted the French scientist and essayist Albert Jacquard's words

Information science...supplies only communication canned or frozen. It is incapable of evoking the bursts of creativity that come naturally in the course of a dialogue comprising moments of silence as well as words

With referring to the quote, Daisaku Ikeda said the information technology has negatively been contribuing to the devaluation of words and soul to sould communication.

I have thought about this issue, as Mukesh Williams of Soka University of Japan said, now everyone writes but no one reads, people have got restless opportunities to take out their opinions, but which means people do not get necessitated to wait their turn and contemplate.

This propencity is not only great but also possibly very harmful. Although more people can create new types of connection outside their body, they also have less time to create new types of connection and understanding within themselves.

Technology can never enrich us, we make the technology enrich us.

Comments

Popular Posts