Are You Savvy? Edgy Device-Ism might be on your desk

Are you good at technology?  Do you check latest electronic devices in the store?  Is Tech section your only interest in news website and app?  Is your hottest excitement usually related to tech?

If any of the above apply to you, I think you are pretty into tech and new devices.
I personally have iPhone and MacBook Pro, at home, connected to WiFi brought by Airport Express, outside home, I use iPhone to tether so I can stay online with my Mac.
I listen to music in my car with a FM transmitter jacked into cigar socket.
Only these seem pretty, but I had much more before.
I had Dell laptop so I could use Windows if necessary, I had Apple TV to watch some news and connect TV to my iPhone, iPad and Mac.  I had BUFFALO 2TB Hard Drive as an end storage.

Now I have about half of all the things above and sold the rest.
Why?  Because I have no reason to possess anymore.
Why did I buy them in the first place?  Because I thought they were so cool.

One day, I asked my colleague help me do some of paper works.

"Sorry, I'm busy with this preparation", he said.

"What are you preparing for?"  I asked.

"For my class, I want to use this software for my class, but it's not easy to use." 
 He looked really busy.

"What kind of software is it?  I might better use it as well."  I asked.

"This is...I don't know, but it looks useful", he said.

Looking at his desktop screen, there were more than tens of softwares installed.
I asked,  "Do you use ALL of them?"
He shook his head and "No, actually I've never used most of them."
I was puzzled and said, "Then why did you download?"

"Because they looked cool."

He has more devices than I've mentioned earlier, and repeat "I need that cool stuff!" with full smile.

You see, people nowadays buy devices by appearance, not function as a first thing exactly.
Some years ago, tech stuff were only for geeks and a lot of women didn't even touch.
But companies such as Apple changed the design which look far more familiar to lay people.
Now, possessing a tech device becomes cool.

Like my colleague, his purpose is not actually using the device but only possessing it.
I don't blame it or think it's a bad thing, rather positive for economy...but for users life?
Like a desktop filled up with softwares never used and never will be, those cool stuff occupy our mind as ornaments and never work for us.
It's ironical that one of the Apple core philosophy is "less is more."  Some Apple fans clearly don't inherit this philosophy and fanatically purchase every product.

When I want to google, read Kindle, use Google Map, play games...etc my iPhone 6 plus is enough, I don't need an iPad.
I use my MacBook Pro to edit movie, music, document, and to google and watch YouTube.
I don't need a hard drive to save all miscellaneous data which I don't even remember they exist.
I don't need Apple TV, I can check news out on my iPhone, and no need to sync the screen on my TV.  I tried watching a clip of NBA game on YouTube on my TV synced with my Mac, but the sync wasn't perfect, there were frequent delays, which make watching experience much worse.

Because of all the experiences above, now I'm determined that I will never buy electronic devices unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Comments

Popular Posts